Castle-like in size and appearance with monk-like solitude and all the comforts an abundance of friendly staff provides. One of the many enjoyable features is a 100-foot swimming pool which hugs the front of the entire house. You can step into it from your groundfloor bedroom, or come down from the tower for a swim.
An eco-friendly, health-oriented diet is provided with a world-class chef and two modern cooks (serving a variety of cuisines including local flavors, vegetarian options, California-style summer fare, Italian, low cholesterol, organic). In fact, we have 3-acres of gardens to pull from. Some of the best cooking in Kenya is done on site.
They are located next to the Peponi Hotel, on the hilltop of Shela Village which is home to world heritage site the Mosque of Shela.
- 5 bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms
- 7 full bathrooms in house
- Gourmet kitchen with world-class chef — some of the best cooking in Kenya!
- 100 foot pool
- Media Room – Includes High Definition projector for movies and TV viewing, all-region DVD player, BluRay player, Apple TV system (which includes downloads of most of the current popular TV series and some movies).
- Internet – High broadband internet distribution throughout. All bedrooms have access to WiFi. The broadband is 500k megabits/sec provided by VSAT, and works very well with audio and video Skype. We are happy to provide iPads for internet use, reading, etc.
- Solar House – A hilltop bedroom suite, which doubles as an energy supply and backup. 62 solar panels on the roof power a large part of the air conditioning HVAC system, and they have a silent 27 generator for backup to the grid.
- The Property – Approximately 2.5 acres in total, including the highest point of any house on Lamu Island and all the way down to the water, including 80 feet of private beach.
Two deep wells on the property pump 800 liters/day through reverse osmosis and ultraviolet filtration systems. This supplies the entire house with pristine water – including all taps – including the kitchen, down to the ice cubes – bathrooms, etc. They also have solar thermal hot water systems throughout.
They have three boats in their bevy, fit for a variety of activities:
- An 18-foot Quicksilver Mariner 555 Speedboat seats 7-8 people. This is available for day trips to neighboring Kipughani and Manda Toto and to Kiniku for coral reef snorkeling!
- A Kiwayu Speedboat is equipped for waterskiing.
- A 27-foot Mozambique dhow (sailing Swahili boat) is perfect for midnight moon sailing.